Re: [hylafax-users] Consistent failure in sending faxes

Lee Howard wrote:

On 2003.11.11 09:55 Michael Evans wrote:

A while back I had a problem with receiving faxes, and a patch was posted. After I got back from a vacation, I tried to apply the patch, but apparently I had the wrong version of the target file(s), as the patch command failed. So I got the newest sources from cvs, and rebuilt, hoping by this time (November 9) the patch would have been incorporated.

The patch was been committed to CVS quite some time ago.

As a result, the ability to send faxes has become broken.

But receiving works fine?

I don't know; I haven't tested it yet since I rebuilt hylaFAX and made the other adjustments noted below.

A log file with comments is below. The failure always seems to occur at nearly the same point, which makes me wonder if it's due to something other than random noise.

In addition to rebuilding hylaFAX from the cvs sources, I took these other steps to try and improve things:

1. The modem is a Zoom 2920. I downloaded a firmware upgrade from the manufacturer, temporarily installed the modem into a Windows 2000 computer, and applied the flash upgrade. Then I put it back into the Linux box.

2. The Linux box is running SuSE 7.3. By default, some Internet-related processes are started at boot time, namely smpppd and kinternet. I killed these processes, thinking they might be interfering with hylaFAX's processes.

Note that training at all types of V.17 failed. Training succeeded once we went to V.29. This is a rather new development. In this case before, V.29 would have been skipped entirely (because V.17 has 9600 and 7200 baudrates) and you would have likely been reduced to V.27ter at 4800 bps before a training success.

This indicates that either the modem's V.29 is broken or that you need to switch flow control. If you're using "ModemFlowControl: xonxoff" then set it to "rtscts" or vice versa. Then try. If that doesn't work

(I tried it, but it didn't work - exactly the same result as before.)

then you may want to try sending to this destination at 4800 bps and see if it goes through. If it does, then maybe the V.29 modulator is broken if you can't ever fax with V.29 to anywhere. You can disable V.29 with HylaFAX, if needed.

How is this done? I tried entering

ModemRate 4800

into the config.ttyS4 file in /var/spool/hylafax/etc, but it seems to have no effect at all. The training is still sent to the remote beginning at 19200, and working downward until the remote accepts the training at V.29 9600 (after which the transmission fails as before).

Thanks,

Michael Evans