Re: [hylafax-users] problems with mailing-list

On 2003.11.07 15:46 Stephen Arnold wrote:

Since it was Google Groups you meant, I'm not sure there's anything
that
can be done, short of stopping the usenet reflector...

Anybody?

I think that it's our responsibility to do all that we reasonably can to prevent web pages that we host from being harvest-fields for bulk e-mail addresses. The particular obfuscation method that you see in the HylaFAX archives now was chosen. The cost of that particular obfuscation method is that we can't e-mail directly to an individual hylafax-user based solely on what we see in the archives. I.e., now I can't go back into the archives and follow up on some problem that they may have explained, and so if they don't read hylafax-users anymore, I may never be able to reach them. I think that's a reasonable price to pay, although I truly wish it weren't necessary.

As we don't control Google's website we can't do much about their privacy policies. In theory the hylafax-users list could obfuscate the original poster's e-mail address by having all mail coming from the list address, but that would prevent us from privately e-mailing each other, and some of the information we share (i.e. logs containing TSI and dialstrings) really shouldn't always be publicized. So if I want to help you out and I need logs from you, I certainly understand it if you send me those logs privately. I think that as a whole we all enjoy that opportunity. The cost of that opportunity is the risk of whatever privacy policy another hylafax-user may have. Is that registrant providing a web-browseable archive without e-mail address obfuscation? Is that user reaping addresses directly and selling them? So at present we need to remind ourselves that privacy is lost with publicity and voice any complaints to that user that may violate our personal privacy wishes (in this case Google).

hylafax-users is a public list. Don't post private information here if you don't want that information becoming public. That even goes for your e-mail address as much as it goes for your credit card numbers.

If you or your ISP are not already filtering for spam, then you certainly should be. We cannot reasonably expect to keep our e-mail addresses as confidential as our credit card numbers. Following the lead that HylaFAX.org made in using SpamAssassin to filter spam from the hylafax-users list, I am now using SpamAssassin 2.60 on a number of different mail domains. I am very happy with SpamAssassin and would highly recommend it to anyone. It's sad that we need to take active steps like that to filter out spam from our mailboxes so that we can actually find the few morsels of real communication that may be in there... but that's the reality today and so is it for the foreseeable future.