Re: [hylafax-users] _[hylafax-users]_Weird_Internation alisation:_äöü

>> To: hylafax-users@hylafax.org, holger.raschke@presse-data.de
>> Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_=5Bhylafax-users=5D_Weird_Internation?=
>>  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?alisation=3A_=E4=F6=FC?=
>>
>> The subject is not "nice", isn't it?
>

> See this is what I'm saying. No need to quarrel: with another client
> attached to a POP3-server you will see the 'Umlaute' very nicely. I
> *did* try before writing the mail. The MTA on my server passes the
> message on including üöä into another mailbox, from which a client can
> pick up the undistorted Subject. Ask for a screenshot, if you like ... !

You must be a lawyer ;-)
Well, i don't need a screenshot, as my mozilla also *displayed* it
correctly. But this "conversion" is done by the clientsoftware.
Did you also proof the mail source code?

What i assume (as i do not use faxmail) is, that faxmail gets the
mailsource and has no routines to handle the ISO-8859-1 encoded
characters in the mail header.

> By the way: The Subject line in my client here (Mozilla) *does* show the
> 'Umlaute' and I only pressed 'Reply all' on the mail in the Inbox. while
> I am typing these lines. Meaning that from me typing the original mail
> through all MTAs and your Inbox followed by your client back into my
> Inbox and now at 'Reply' the äöü are still there !
> Which is the best proof possible that the *client* is responsible.
>
> Time to go back to square 1: Why does faxmail not produce the original
> letters, while the body comes out nicely ?

As i understood it (and i may be wrong), it can't handle the
8bit-characters of the ISO-8859-1 characterset in the mail header (the
"envelope" part in "man faxmail").
The mailbody is processed according to MIME specifications, so the
necessary conversions are done.

--
Holger