Re: [hylafax-users] Modem is Wedged?

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 01:20:27AM -0600, Edward Aronyk wrote:
> I work in the IT department of a small firm, and we're looking to convert to
> a 4 line HylaFAX solution, using external modems run off a Digiboard.
> Currently, however, we're doing a test project using an older Pentium with
> an internal linmodem (a Conexant HCF) and HylaFAX 4.1.6.
>
> We're exceedingly close to a working solution, but there are a couple show
> stopping bugs. In short, the HylaFAX box will dial the remote fax machine,
> send a load of data... but nothing will come out of the fax machine. After
> that, the modem gets "wedged". The modem is supposed to be supported.
[ ... ]
> Does anyone have any advice for us? We're getting desperate.

First, you've done an exceptional job of documenting your question;
that's often a problem and thanks for getting it right.

Next: Linmodems can still be problematic -- there are *so many*
different factors involved. (driver version, kernel version, modem
hardware...)

My first suggestion -- especially since you're not planning to use the
linmodem in production -- would be to beg, steal, or borrow an external
faxmodem (even a USR Sportster faxmodem would be good enough, though I
recommend MultiTech's for production external faxmodem service), and
re-faxaddmodem it and retry your tests.

If that's practical for you, try it and report back.  If not, report
back anyway.  And remember: you didn't spend $10k on the fax software.
:-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c