Re: [hylafax-users] Simulating incoming faxes

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:50:03AM -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> On 2003.06.16 13:37 Stefano Corsi wrote:
> > I'm writing an interface on the top of hylafax. Under my work, I need
> > simulate what happens when a fax is received, lots of times. I don't
> > want to
> > continue sending faxes to myself (expecially because I don't have two
> > phone
> > lines at the moment).
> > So I wonder if someone has already written an utility that simulate an
> >
> > incoming fax operation given a simple .tiff file, including all
> > notifications, events, file creation in recvq an so on...
>
> Hook two modems up together directly.
>
> On one dial with ATD or possibly ATX3DT, on the other ATA.  The only
> drawback is the lack of a RING and such.

<record fault="broken">
Or, if you can justify spending a little more money for a possibly more
reliable test -- check out a Line Simulator (Viking is one common brand
name).  Mike Sandman sells these (amongst other people), at his site
www.sandman.com; they're about $160 the last time I looked. Simulates
line current, ring, dialtone, and permits dialling from one side to the
other.  They're very nice for this sort of thing.
</record>

<idea>
Hey, Lee?  Could we set up a config file whereby you could just hook
two ports together with a null modem cable, and they'd cooperate?
</idea>

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c