Re: [hylafax-users] Long Distance Dial Access Codes

Hi Chris

I have a similar situation.  Some of my modems require  9, to select an
outside line as well as a long distance code
for long distance calls.  Other modems have a direct line and do not require
a long distance code.

I found two solutions to this problem.  The first is not very elegant, and
replies on the user to enter the correct
number.  The second required me to modify the DialRules.c++ source code to
obtain the required functionality I required.

Method 1) Use a dialrules that does not do any checking or modification of
the dialstring. This way whatever number you specify when submitting the fax
will be used for dialing.  This may work for you as long as you don't
require different long distance access codes for different lines.  If you do
require different access codes for different lines then you will have to
create a different dialrules for each line that adds the access code to the
dialstring.  It will be up to whoever is submitting the fax to enter the (1)
for long distance, and the area code for each number dialed.
I have had success using commas for a delay multiple commas can be
specified.  ie (16043334444,,,,1111,,,).
Note: I have not had any problem dialing an access code on lines that do not
require one.  The phone system here seems to ignore them, you may need to
test this in your area first.

Method 2) Requires setting up a dialrules file for each phone line.  The
attached dialrules files show examples
of how to do this. Set one is without my modifcation to DialRules.c++.  Set
two requires my modifications to DialRules.c++.

The basic problem with the existing dialrules is that it can't handle
extensions, access codes, and calling card info.
It tries to strip all this info from the dialstring in order to determine if
the number is long distance, international, or
requires an area code.  It then attempts to build the required dialstring,
but it can't tack on the striped info, as it has been thrown away.  My
change to DialRules.c++ allows the stripped info to be placed in a variable.
This allows one to add the stripped info back into the dialstring later on
in the dialrules.  This is only a problem if you need to pass this info to
HylaFAX at submission time.  If you can live with hardcoding things in
dialrules, then you should be able to use Set One.

John