From: hylafax-users-bounce@hylafax.org
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@hylafax.org] On Behalf Of Pedro Rocadas
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 12:45 PM
To: hylafax-users@hylafax.org
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Non-GUI Front End

--- Joe Phillips <jaiger@acm.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:57:05AM -0600, Carl
> Carstenson wrote:
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > I am looking for a character-based front end for
> filling out a
> > coversheet from a linux box. I could write a shell
> or perl script.But
> > figured that someone out there has or knows of a
> program that would be
> > much better than I could throw together.

You want the coversheet followed by one or more pages
right? That's the problem :-(. But, from where are you
going send the jobs?

> I haven't seen such an interface yet (not that I'm
> the expert there)
> but I've been considering some Java software to
> build a simple
> coverpage builder.
>
> Currently, this is at the way bottom of my todo list
> but I will give
> you what info/ideas I have.
>
> What I found was a Java class called PSGr (use
> google) that uses
> a standard Graphics interface to build PS documents.
>  I have
> successfully used this class to make some simple
> test PS documents.
> This class basically allows you to use the GUI
> toolkit (drawing, fonts etc)
> to make your PS.
>
> IIRC, it does use portions of the AWT (GUI) classes
> and so wanted X
> installed for support libraries.  I'm pretty sure I
> saw that the latest
> JDK (1.4+) has an option to run AWT 'headless' in
> server environments.
> You may want to investigate this headless option to
> further reduce the
> dependancy on X.  In my tests, I recall the JVM
> wanted X installed
> and maybe my display set but didn't display
> anything.  It just generated
> a PS stream.

A friend of mine talked to me about some jar files
from (nietsoft.com?,mietsoft.com?) I don't remember
well the name, wich generate PDF, PS, TIFF. I must ask
him again about it.

> Any more tips from the HylaFAX+AS400 guru?

Who's that guy?

/dev/null
  *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail
sales@hylafax.org.*