Re: [hylafax-users] Faxgetty + pppd

On 18 Oct 2002 10:42:58 -0400, "Michael T. Babcock"
<mbabcock@fibrespeed.net> wrote:

>I'd like to be able to configure some modems for outgoing faxes and
>incoming pppd logins.  Has anyone succesfully done this (presumably by
>replacing the getty line int he config file)?

If you faxes are outgoing only, then the best thing, in my opinion, is not
to use faxgetty (use faxmodem with appropriate params) and leave modem to
mgetty for pppd; this way you handle pppd like you do normally.

If you also receive faxes, then you can do what you want if:
- your modem does adaptive answer, the HylaFAX software alternative is a bit
'complicated' to manage (my opinion...)
- you use agetty or mgetty (see bugzilla for more info)
If you use mgetty
1) GetyArgs "-b -r -s %s %l"
2) "toggle-dtr no" in mgetty.config
- check that pppd and HylaFAX agree on flow control they use to control the
modem.

There's the problem of the speed with which faxgetty  opens the line, it
defaults to 19200 and when you pass control to mgetty I was not able to
increase it without breaking the connection. You can try increasing it,
don't know if it will affect fax transmission (I think it depends on the
modem type, 19200 is a safe value).

--
giulioo@pobox.com