Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] Re: Hylafax FSP DLL for Windows 2000/XP

Dmitry Bely said:
> frbn <frbn@efbs-seafrigo.fr> writes:
>
> > Hylafax is a free open killer-application, please don't try to close it.
>
> I have not catched your point. I am *not* trying to "close"
> Hylafax, I have
> just created the new client Hylafax software for Windows and thinking
> whether to distribute it or not. Most existing Windows Hylafax clients
> (WHFC, Cypheus, ...) are already close sourced, while Cypheus also costs
> some amount of money, so ...
>
> - Dmitry Bely

Actually, WHFC is open source now. It was previously closed source.
I think that any developer who creates a client for HylaFAX has a total
right to keep the source for themselves. Any user of HylaFAX has the
right to use or not use a client, and whether that client is open source
may or may not figure into their choice. I am grateful that people produce
open source software, but I have no expectation that everyone whould have to
do so.
As for whether ou release your client, that is something only you can
answer.
I have found WHFC to be suitable for my users for sending faxes. Last time I
used Cypheus I didn't dig it, but there's been work done there so it might
be worth revisiting, I think quite a few people use it. If your client truly
does something that these don't do, you might have a shot at releasing it as
commercial (read PAY) software. But be prepared for people pushing you to
move it to the Win2K/XP platform as well. On the other hand, you can throw
it
up on a download site somewhere as closed source and tell people they can
use
it, but they are on their own. Lastly, you can release the code under a
license other than the GPL, or make up your own license, that places more
restrictions on what people can do with it.
These ramblings brought to you by,
Josh