Re: [hylafax-users] RedHat 8.0

thomas, compiling hylafax is not all that difficult and learning to
compile things under linux (either redhat or any other distro) is
something that you should learn to.  In alot of cases there is something
that will be broken when using an RPM and you'll have to install from
scratch.  Not to mention that the binary is then specifically compiled
for your computer.  This is good becuase you can modify the compile time
arguments to be optimized for your architecture.

I would suggest compiling from scratch, read the documentation to
determine what libraries are needed prior to compiling and then make
sure that you have them (look in /etc/lib/) .  Then uncompress the
tar.gz file from hylafax (or .tgz) and run the following from the root
hylafax directory

./configure
make
su root
make install

and then run the faxsetup script like the documentation tells you.  its
all pretty straightforward, and since you are using a more sophisticated
OS, you should start to learn more about the OS.

Linux is not like MS Windows, were everything comes in a package, it
requires you to work, thats is why the products are so much better (not
always), because of feedback from the users.  Just try it, it won't kill
you, I promise!  If you have any problems compiling, post the question
then, we can still help you...

Good Luck, and if you have some questions that you don't feel like
asking on the list, you can email me directly at
linux@martinapparatus.com...

joey