Re: [hylafax-users] Cisco 3620 & ISDN

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 04:55:39PM +0200, Laurent Durantin wrote:
> Is it possible to set up a hylafax server that uses an ISDN and a Cisco 3620
> via the network as its modems?

So far as I know, no.

At the moment, the only programs that talk T.30 are facgetty and
faxsend, and both of them expect to talk to something that at least
*looks like* a serially-connected modem with an AT command set.

While there are some customized versions for ISDN, they, too, expect
to talk directly to a local card.  While I'm aware that the Cisco and
also USR Total Control gear has modems that could do the work, the
only way I'm aware of that you could make use of them with
current-day HylaFAX would be to modify something like modemu, a
daemon that can remote a serial modem.  I don't think that modemu
remotes things like carrier detect.

This could be done, by a programmer with enough protocol experience,
sufficient doco on the 3620, and enough free time, but it's not a
small project.

If it's worth something to you, I'm sure you could get some technical
help on the details, if you're a good enough coder (I'm not).

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")