Re: [hylafax-users] Doc and xls attatchment

> i setup email to fax with sendmail and hyla fax its working ,,
> But when i send any attchment it  dosen't go...
>

> if i send plane email with some text in body it goes perfectly.
>
> What is the problem.

Prakash--

In order for hylafax to work with formats other than a select few (i.e.
TIFF, postscript, pdf etc -- see how-to for more info), you need to make
sure there is a filter in place.

Since your subject indicated "doc" and "xls", I am supposing you are
sending microsoft files (word and excel I suspect).  Unless you wrote your
own filter (good luck), these files can not be converted by sendfax and it
is likely with the gateway you set up the script you run also doesn't
perform or have plugins for conversion.

Try sending a postscript or tiff file via email.  Depending how your
gateway was set up (I have my own perl script which calls sendfax), this
should work fine.

Are you using sendfax or faxsend in your gateway script?  If you use
sendfax, you will run into a problem with mime format files unless your
script explicitly reads and parses them.

If you want to fax out word, xcel or other proprietary formatted
documents, you either need to set up some sort of plugin on the
faxsend/sendfax/hylafax side for the conversion or you will need to do one
of the following:

(i)  find a conversion script that will work for the file type you are
interested in (for word, you can use antiword but it strips out most of
the useful formatting);

(ii) use a samba interface with a generic postscript driver on your win32
machines (see the howto for more information on samba interfaces); or

(iii)  use a generic postscript driver on your win32 machines to write to
files, and then email the postscript files to your gateway.

Out of the three options listed above, obviously the quickest and dirtiest
approach is (iii).  (ii) is what I have been struggling to setup.  (i) is
probably not going to be possible unless you can buy a commercial
conversion script or something of the sort.

Best regards.

Sunil