Re: [hylafax-users] Any PC system requirements?

Ron Brayer said:

> Thx for the info.
> Why do you prefer external modems?
> Are there any multi-line external modems?
>
> Thx

Personal bigotry :) My two primary reasons are that 1.) It seems to me that
your average external modem is better made than your average internal modem.
You can get some quality internal modems, however. 2.) If your modem hard
hangs, and its internal, you reset the modem by rebooting the server. This
is generally considered a bad thing, but it depends on what requirements are
made of your fax machine, ie availability, and whether you have other
services on there which can be interrupted.
To my knowledge, there aren't any multi-line external modems, but I didn't
look that hard. I am implementing a setup right know with twelve external
modems, they will all be stuffed in a neat little rack, the serial cables
will be going to rack mounted serial ports, so it shouldn't be too ugly.
This could have been done with two or three internal mulit-line modems by
Digi, Comtrol, or Multitech, but my boss has even greater bias against
internal modems than I :) The upswing of an internal modem would be the
simplicity, no extra cabling and nothing to knock off the top of the server.
Its up to you to balance the benefits of both and decide, I suppose.

Josh
<snipped previous emails>