Re: [hylafax-users] Waiting for modem to come ready

On 2002.07.31 04:14 Gian van der Spuy wrote:

> Receiving faxes works perfectly until a fax is sent.
> Sending faxes works every time.
> After sending 1 fax, the modem is left in a busy state and incomming
> calls
> are ignored. Faxes can still be sent.
> Respawning faxgetty resets the modem and everything works perfectly
> again until the next fax is sent.
>
> I have installed the hylafax-4.1.2-1rh7 rpm on an AMD K6 running Redhat
> 7.3. All the latest patches and updates are installed.
> I am using a 3com/USR message modem which I understand is essentially
> a Sportster. Run it as class 2.0 and class 1 - no change. (I have also
> tried an
> oldish 56K Compaq with a Rockwell chip in class 1 with similar results.)
> Faxgetty is running from inittab. (I have tried starting it before
> hylafax as
> someone suggested - no luck)

I find it difficult to believe that you have this same problem with a
Rockwell in Class 1.  As far as I'm aware, the only cases of this behavior
which were unresolvable were cases involving a USR/3Com modem.

Basically what you need to do in order to help us diagnose the problem and
help you fix the problem is to send us the relevant entries from your
server logs after you turn ServerTracing up to 0xFFF in your
config.<devid> file.  In some cases, just changing the tracing will make
the problem go away.

However, after examining previous posts on this topic (and yours too,
Lorenzo), which logs detail no error in configuration or AT initialization
commands, the only thing that I can suspect is that USR/3Com modems do not
like to have DTR dropped when DTR is already off.

In receive-only mode, DTR does this:

Start-up:
	DTR OFF
	(75 ms)
	DTR ON
	(2600 ms)
receive a fax, then faxgetty resets:
	DTR OFF
	(75 ms)
	DTR ON
	(2600 ms)
Shut-down:
	DTR OFF
	(no wait)

If we involve a sending session in there, this is what it looks like:

Start-up:
	DTR OFF
	(75 ms)
	DTR ON
	(2600 ms)
sending a fax:
	DTR OFF
	(75 ms)
	DTR ON
	(2600 ms)
send the fax, then:
	DTR OFF
	(no wait)
faxgetty resets:
	DTR OFF
	(75 ms)
	DTR ON
	(2600 ms)
Shut-down:
	DTR OFF
	(no wait)

Basically the only difference we have is that when we involve sending
sessions we have set DTR OFF even when DTR is already off, and there may
be less than 75 ms delay between the two.  You have the same scenario if
you simply restart faxgetty...

Start-up:
	DTR OFF
	(75 ms)
	DTR ON
	(2600 ms)
Shut-down:
	DTR OFF
	(no wait)
Start-up:
	DTR OFF
	(75 ms)
	DTR ON
	(2600 ms)
Shut-down:
	DTR OFF
	(no wait)

Again, we set DTR OFF twice with no pause between them.  I have seen the
timeouts with USR modems occur in this scenario, also... except it always
"went away" when I set logging to 0xFFF.  (Which may be because the
logging is ever so slightly slowing things down and giving us enough pause
between setting DTR OFF.)

If you could tell me the output of "ATS10=?" on your modem (using cu or
minicom) I would appreciate it.  It should report 7, but I just want to
check on that.

Can I send you a patch to test this with, or do I need to send you binary
RPMs?

Thanks.