Re: [hylafax-users] the old faxgetty-respawning-to-fast-problem

Toss in some pretzels?

> I set the inittab entry for faxgetty as found in the hylafax
> documentation and I still get this respawning to fast error.
>  the entry is
>
> S1:23:respawn /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/ttyS1
>
> (notice : without the -D flag!)
>
> using "30" runlevel digits instead of "23" will not start faxgetty at
> all.
>
> Starting faxgetty manually works so I could receive/send faxes well.
>
> So which runlevel-digits do I have to put in into inittab so faxgetty is
> starting without complaining instead of writing a little startup-script
> started just before hfaxd comming up?

Depends on what runlevel your box is operating at. If you are booting into a
full graphical mode, that's 5, you need that number. If you're booting into
text mode, thats three.  My box boots into text mode, I also toss in level
two because that's what the example did and I never changed it, so
s0:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0 works for me.

> 2nd Question:
>
> Could you configure some users in hosts.hfaxd who are allowed just
> receiving but not sending faxes and i.e some others which could onöy
> send faxes, and some who do both of it ? Is there any detailed
> user-management in hosts.hfaxd or elsewhere in hylafax ?

hosts.hfaxd only controls the sending of faxes, so you could determine in
there who is allowed to send. As to receiving faxes, the default for faxrcvd
is to email a notification to FaxMaster notifying of the received fax. So,
in one manner of speaking FaxMaster is the only one who receives faxes. If
you want to do email routing of faxes, only route the emails to people who
should be receiving faxes. If you're on a multi-user machine and want to
secure the received faxes, one could play with the permissions for received
faxes, look at RecvFileMode for your modem config.