Re: [hylafax-users] Multiple PCI modems?

On 2002.07.18 09:40 Andrew Chan wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to use multiple Intel/Ambient 5628D
> chipset PCI modems in a PC?

At the time I last looked (about a year ago) there was no way to get
multiple Intel/Ambient linmodems working in a single system.  I had
contacted the Linmodem author about it, too.  However, at the same time
development with the Lucent Linmodem driver was implementing a multiple
device functionality, so if other Linmodems were following the same lead,
I don't know.

> I have one of them working just fine using the driver from Intel but
> looking
> at the driver code my guess is it won't work with multiple modems since
> for
> one thing the device is hard coded to be "/dev/ham".

I looked at that, too, and came to the same conclusion.  If you can hack
code you may want to look at the way the Lucent driver does it and try to
duplicate it with the Intel.

> It will be a shame
> since modems based on this chip are among the cheapest ones available.

Yes, but still you're only going to ever get no more than 5 of these in a
system.