Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] RFD - Business form overlays/merging

On Mon, 13 May 2002 11:54:52 -0400, "Darren Nickerson" <darren@hylafax.org>
wrote:

>Initially it seemed like Adobe's PDF and their Form Data Format (FDF)
>might be a good solution, . . . until we realized that only commercial
>tools (Acrobat full version) can prepare PDF forms, and only
>commercial tools (like FDFMerge and Acrobat Reader) seem to be able to use FDF data to populate PDFs.

Couldn't follow devel discussion, so I don't know if this has already been
excluded, however,  if you want to produce PDF, from an ascii template (ie
changing some stuff), there's a solution that maybe it's not optimal (html
is not wysiwyg) but that could work: htmldoc (GPL, www.easysw.com) converts
html into pdf.

=== myfile.php
===

htmldoc --webpage myfile.php -f myfile.pdf

The template could be produced on Windows provided modern html editors do
not mess the html beyond recognition :)

I think it can do images too, but I'm not certain.
I've used it in the past in projects unrelated to HylaFAX (convert old plain
ascii docs into pdf).

--
giulioo@pobox.com