Re: [hylafax-users] Numerous problems with HF4.1 & MicroLink 56kFun IIa

Hello all,
On Mon, 13 May 2002, Lee Howard wrote:

[...]
>> ModemType:              Class2          # use this to supply a hint
>
>Tried using Class 1?

Yes, I did, but the modem couldn't even be initialized for receiving -
faxgetty always gave up. I can try and dig up the reports if you think
that would help.

[...]
>> ModemRate:              38400           # max rate for DCE-DTE
>> communication
>
>Tried using 19200?

Yes. No difference.

[...]
>> ModemResetCmds:         at&Fx3          # stuff to do when modem is reset
>
>Not a good choice, IMHO.
>
>> ModemSoftResetCmd:      AT&FX3          # do soft reset of modem
>
>You *can't* replace ATZ with this.

(The X3 part actually isn't needed anymore as the modem now gets a valid
"line free" signal directly without dialing "0" first.) If I use ATZ,
the initialization of the modem fails and I can't send or receive
anything! I think it might have to do something with the fact that the
modem answers to "ATZ" with "0" (as the initialization *always* fails
there) but as I stated before, I'm not that much of a fax expert. How
can I use "ATZ" above with the Fun IIa?

[...]
>> May 13 10:33:16.20: [20241]: SEND recv RTN (retrain negative)
>Actually, it just looks like a bad connection.

I know how it looks like, but that's *extremely* unlikely. The modem is
running on an ISDN line, the same a noname modem was connected to until
it broke down last winter. We *never* had more than 1% of faxes that
couldn't go through due to connections errors - with this modem 15% of
all faxes show this problem. Secondly, it *always* happens at the end of
the transmission (when all pages are sent) and *all* the pages actually
came though fine, as we know of the people on the other end who phone
back to ask why the get that same fax thrice.

I honestly don't know what to do or try out anymore - this is going on
for five months now. :-(

Greetings
Kasi Mir