Re: [hylafax-users] Illegal user name.

Quoting John McGarrigle <johnm@ic5.net>:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm a new user of HylaFAX, our buisiness has begin to have a need for
> more robust/simple fax system (well, it's not simple for me ;), and as
> result I have turned to HylaFAX, and a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE box.

I did an install of HylaFAX 4.1.1 on FreeBSD 4.5 just a week ago.

> While installing HylaFAX I noticed this:
>
> Flex:~/pkg/hylafax-4.1.1# make install
> /usr/local/bin/bash ./port/install.sh -u bin -g bin -m 755  -idb
> hylafax.sw.client -dir  /usr/local/bin /usr/local/lib/fax
> /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/sbin
> /usr/local/bin/bash ./port/install.sh -u bin -g bin -m 755  -idb
> hylafax.sw.server -dir /usr/local/sbin;
> /usr/local/bin/bash ./port/install.sh -u uucp -g dialer -m 755  -idb
> hylafax.sw.server -dir /var/spool/hylafax
> chown: uucp: illegal user name
> /usr/local/bin/bash ./port/install.sh -u uucp -g dialer -m 755  -idb
> hylafax.sw.server -dir  -F /var/spool/hylafax bin client config dev
> etc
> info log recvq status
> chown: uucp: illegal user name
> chown: uucp: illegal user name
> chown: uucp: illegal user name
> chown: uucp: illegal user name
> chown: uucp: illegal user name
> chown: uucp: illegal user name
> chown: uucp: illegal user name

See: http://www.hylafax.org/howto/misc/installnotes.php#OSX

This happens because there is no uucp group and/or user account.  There must be
a uucp user and group, and there must be a bin user also.  Usually this isn't
fatal.

> <snip>
>
> gcc: ../port/libport.a: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1

I didn't experience this problem.

> Stop in /root/pkg/hylafax-4.1.1/util.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /root/pkg/hylafax-4.1.1/util.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /root/pkg/hylafax-4.1.1.
>

> Suffice as to say I'm puzzled. I installed it from the freebsd ports
> before, and managed to get it answering the line, receiving faxes and
> forwarding them on to an email address, however, I couldn't get the
> server to work (nomatter what I did with the hosts file I kept getting
> user/pass errors, or permission errors, or unable to find file at
> location /foo/bar (even when the file clearly existed and hadthe
> correct
> permissions/users etc.. Or so I think).

FreeBSD hates to have things run as root.  hfaxd must run as root.
Consequently, FreeBSD has done some things to try to make hfaxd work, but I
think that it's not quite right.  You'll find that there is no specific
maintainer of the FreeBSD HylaFAX port, so there's really nobody to complain to.

> So, I deinstalled it using ports and attempted to install from source
> manually... And this is where I am stuck..
>
> I think I might have screwed it further than it was before.. But I
> have
> a feeling the uucp errors have something to do with it all (I noticed
> in
> the ports install there was a user uucp and a user fax both with the
> same UID).

Yup, completely required.