Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFax problems

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 12:13:03PM -0800, Abhinav Uttam wrote:
> I came across your postings on google groups about Hylafax DTMF
> detection. I too am facing a similar problem wherein i want to route
> the fax received to users mailboxes. I know this can be done using
> CallerId but that will not be what i want
>
> i have give extensions to users lets say 11 , 12 , 13... and put the
> server on the line 555

I presume you mean a PBX extension here?

> so when a user dials 55511 the faxes shd go to mailbox 11 55522 22 and
> so on...

Nope, looks like you don't.

> 11,12,13 can be users on the machine...
>
> what i want is that Hylafax shd understand this 11,12,13 and then
> route faxes based on that.
>
> Or maybe if some other kind of DTMF routing is possible please let me
> know.

I *think* that what you're saying is that you want callers to be able
to dial the faxmodem's local directory number, from outside your
building, and then just dial additional address digits right at the end
of the number, and have those address digits (which would signify a
specific recipient) somehow magically get handed to HylaFAX for
routing.

And so far as I know, you're SOL; you can't do that.

The entire telephone network would have to cooperate for that to be
possible, and it's not ever going to.

There's a thing called T.30 subaddressing that might be helpful, but I
don't know how that works, except that I think it requires the connivance
of the fax machine at the other end.

If you're willing to make the user *wait for a prompt* to DTMF the
address digits by hand, then you could use vgetty in front of faxgetty;
there's a HOWTO on that laying around somewhere..

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")