Re: [hylafax-users] Email gateway (here we go again)

At 09:52 PM 3/7/2002 -0800, Lee Howard wrote:

         Thanks for the quick response, I will try and play with this
solution some today.  The reason why I said that Outlook only new how to
deliver to the Exchange server is specific to our situation.  The Exchange
server at our local site does not use MX records to deliver mail.  If the
outgoing address does not match a local user (or an Active Directory user
at another site), the message gets forwarded up to the core mail servers at
corporate.  Because of that, I am having issues with really being able to
control how to get mail to the Hylafax box.  Since corporate has given us
so little control over the server, I am really hamstrung on what I can do
on my end.  They are trying to come up with a work around so that I can get
faxes to this single host by mail.  Again, thanks for your help, I think I
can make this work from here.

Michael
>On 2002.03.07 21:23 Michael French wrote:
>
>>Email will be
>>sent normally out of the Exchange server (damn that box) and I need to be
>>able to send faxes out too through Outlook in the form of
>>FaxUser@myhylafaxbox.com.  FaxUser will be a dummy user who receives all
>>incoming faxes and the fax number will be in the Subject line (or in the
>>text body, which ever is easier).  I would also like to get a reply back
>>on
>>success or failure of the faxes.  This can either be done be reply email
>>or
>>through some sort of centralized web interface that they can check.
>
>You want to write a procmail recipe - a .procmailrc file sitting in
>FaxUser's home directory on the MX for myhylafaxbox.com - or simply on
>my.hylafaxbox.com.
>
>See:
>http://www.hylafax.org/howto/faxing.php#ss5.4
>http://www.hylafax.org/howto/clients/.procmailrc
>
>>         In looking at the faxmail docs, it is expecting the email in the
>>form of
>>user@number.fax.
>
>You really don't want to use faxmail, I don't think.  But you could if you
>set up a forwarding mechanism instead of a faxing .procmailrc file which
>forwarded to the recipient@number.fax address.
>
>>  How would I route this from the Exchange server to the
>>Hylafax box with Sendmail?
>
>Could be done, but it would be so much easier without faxmail.
>
>>  Outlook only knows how to use the Exchange
>>server to send mail out.
>
>Not true, but it doesn't matter.
>
>Lee.

Michael French