Re: [hylafax-users] Email gateway (here we go again)

On 2002.03.07 21:23 Michael French wrote:

> Email will be
> sent normally out of the Exchange server (damn that box) and I need to be
> able to send faxes out too through Outlook in the form of
> FaxUser@myhylafaxbox.com.  FaxUser will be a dummy user who receives all
> incoming faxes and the fax number will be in the Subject line (or in the
> text body, which ever is easier).  I would also like to get a reply back
> on
> success or failure of the faxes.  This can either be done be reply email
> or
> through some sort of centralized web interface that they can check.

You want to write a procmail recipe - a .procmailrc file sitting in
FaxUser's home directory on the MX for myhylafaxbox.com - or simply on
my.hylafaxbox.com.

See:
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/faxing.php#ss5.4
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/clients/.procmailrc

> 	In looking at the faxmail docs, it is expecting the email in the
> form of
> user@number.fax.

You really don't want to use faxmail, I don't think.  But you could if you
set up a forwarding mechanism instead of a faxing .procmailrc file which
forwarded to the recipient@number.fax address.

>  How would I route this from the Exchange server to the
> Hylafax box with Sendmail?

Could be done, but it would be so much easier without faxmail.

>  Outlook only knows how to use the Exchange
> server to send mail out.

Not true, but it doesn't matter.