[hylafax-users] A solution for irrant faxgetty...

Hi:

I was having difficulty with the latest Slackware binary installation on a
Pentium 120, 64meg, SatisFAXtion 400e on a Slackware 8.0 distro running
2.4.17 kernel.

The symptoms were occasional lockups of HylaFAX during reception. Also
faxgetty would go bonkers whenever faxstat would be used, causing it to
consume +95% of CPU resources requiring it to be killed, whereupon it was
fine again.

I received valuable feedback from Lee Howard faxguy@deanox.com who brought
up the very significant point that perhaps the builder of the Slackware
binary had built for a different CPU.

I got a fresh HylaFAX source and built from scratch using my experience as a
guide with the binary aiding me.

After all was done, restarted Hylafax using new executables and configs and
the faxgetty problem seems to have abated.

I still have to test to see how things work with the fax reception but I am
very encouraged.

Moral for this story? Use the Source, Luke!

Also, is everyone aware of the linux.apps.flexfax newsgroup? It hasn't been
used for some time judging by the emptiness of my feed but it could be
adopted for use by us HylaFAX users. I intend to post this solution with the
thought that it may encourage participation.

Thanks for the heads-up Lee.

Best regards all,

Brian
BLOFH