[hylafax-users] Handy Faxrcvd Script

I'm new to the list, but I figured *someone* might appreciate and benefit
from the scripting changes I have made to MY faxrcvd script.

FYI: I am running Mandrake Linux 8.0, Postfix, Apache on a Celeron 600mhz.
box with 128 mb ram.  Seems like an overkill, but our two fax modems
(Multitech 1932zdx w/ fax patch #54) are very busy receiving sometimes.  I
found that the P133 w/64 mb tram I had been using had trouble performing
the TIFF2PS conversions properly, sometimes corrupting them.  Not
good.  That problem went away with this box, so I will stick with it.  The
print jobs pump out real fast with it which is good.  FYI: Multitech is a
GREAT company, really supports their products.  They will send out free
PROM updates to their modems - they updated 10 modems I had at work at no
charge for this fax fix.

The following features I scripted may not be written real efficiently, but
at least they work :>

1. Better TSID ID

I saw that in some cases I got no TSID in the message - that the default
SENDER variable was based upon info stored in the actual resulting TIF file
and not the log. Since there is no TIF file on a failed fax, I devised an
alternate SENDER2 variable which is parsed from the cxxxx log file, then I
compare the two, and if one is blank the other takes priority.  I this way
I can see who is having problems faxing me.

2. Display Company Name instead of Fax Number

I added some comparison testing to "Match" the TSID against a simple
semicolon (;) delimited text file to a company name so the reception email
displays the company name instead of the TSID.  This way I can see who the
fax is from rather than the fax number usually in there.  If both variables
are null I display - UNSPECIFIED -.

3. Web Fax Viewing

The default FTP pointers in the email messages didn't work for me so I
wanted to set up a web-based fax retrieval system.  I as the sysadmin want
to be able to review and reprint faxes that are automatically printed via
CUPS to an HP laserjet here, and this was the easiest way for me to do it.
For my personal server I wanted to be able to retrieve faxes from anywhere
I might be, so web based fax access made sense.

I set up Apache on my Mandrake Linux 8.0 system and set up the script to
copy the fax TIF and Cxxx log files to the web folder.  The script emails
me a fax reception message that includes web links to cgi scripts which
simply display the fax or log, respectively, or delete the copies in that
folder.

Hope I have been of help!

Mark Tilles