Re: [hylafax-users] Strange Error

* Jay R. Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> [20010612 04:20]: writing on the subject 'Re: [hylafax-users] Strange Error'
Jay> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 02:04:07PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
Jay> > Someone help me with this...I know I must have screwed up something,
Jay> > possibly somewhere in /etc/rc.conf or inetd.conf but I am not sure:
Jay> >
Jay> > I am running 4.1beta2_2 on FreeBSD 4.3
Jay> > I have this in /etc/inetd.conf:
Jay> >
Jay> > hylafax stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd   hfaxd -I
Jay>
Jay> Like running without faxgetty, running from inetd is one of those
Jay> things that's *possible*, but not necessarily real *practical*.  Is
Jay> there some specific reason you think you need to do it that way?

Hello Jay,

I do not have a specific reason for having hfaxd run from the superserver
other than the fact that on FreeBSD it is made to do just that! By default
it does that. It wasn't me ;)
At some point in development (4.1beta2_1 ??) it was suggested that we
change the user under which hfaxd runs from 'fax' to 'root' (must have
been Darren Nickerson's ANNOUNCE!) but strangely enough, 4.1beta2_2
dislikes the idea and whenever I run faxsetup it would complain and I
would reluctantly let it modify the entry in inetd.conf from root-->fax.
Maybe I missed another announcement that reversed the requirement??

Well, the point of my e-mail is the weird response from faxstat. I checked
the erchives and, yes, I saw suggestions - which all did not work for me.
hfaxd is started by the script hylafax.sh in rc.d/ and ps shows me that it
is running. The reason faxstat reports this errors has stumped me.
I may do with other suggestions.

PLS: Could you kindly lemme know if the original post about my problem
reached you as an attachment? I have a good guy called Paul Franz who uses
Eudora and has raised that concern. When I send my post by letting gnupg
sign go with it, he says it is a weird attachment. It is only when I
discard the gpg sign that he can read it. Does this also apply to you,
such that you have to open an attachment??
NB: I have retained the gnupg signature on this one so that your
feedback can help me out....

MTIA

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

Men who cherish for women the highest respect are seldom popular with them.
-Joseph Addison

PGP signature

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions