[hylafax-users] random RTN errors

We use Hylafax 4.0 Beta 2 for a while, on a SuSE Linux 6.3
with a USR FaxModem 56k in Class 1,
and it seems to run fine...
Except  sometimes on sending faxes, where i get some RTN errors (Retrain
negative), as i can see it in the log files  and then,
the modem slows down its speed (from 14400 to 9600, 7200, 4800, finally
2400...)
finally, our recipient gets 4, 5 or more copies of the same first page of
the fax.
Sending time is often more than 5 mn (up to 9 mn).
It seems that HF does'nt get a good response to MPS or EOP from other
end, and it trie again at a lower speed.
For the same destination, we can get a good result...

Have we a poor quality on the phone line, or is it a bug in HF, as it
cannot stop
sending in this case ?

What is the best solution :

 - Change USR modem, and place an ELSA 56k Microlink fun (we have one)
instead (Class    1 ? Class 2 ?)

 - Upgrade with beta 3 (we cannot find a rpm binary for SuSE 6.3, and we
are afraid to experience an installation from source on a production
machine... who has a beta  4.O beta 3 RPM binary for SuSE 6.3 ? or can i
use the RPM binary found on ftp HF site for SuSE 7.0 ?)

 - Make  some configuration in our config.ttyS1 ?
	(i.e. Stop sending when bad quality line ?);

Many thanks for your help.

c.devise 		c.devise@wanadoo.fr