Re: [hylafax-users] Fax Routing from DID's

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:02:28PM -0600, Bob Steele wrote:
> My phone company supports multiple DID's on a single line. A DID is a phone
> number (like custom ringing) but the number (called) is reported to the
> equipment (something like caller ID in reverse).   Dialogic manufactures
> hardware is able to "read" the number that was called and report it to
> software. It would be helpful if Hylafax could determine which DID the call
> came from and then route the incomming fax to the appropriate mail box.
>
> Has anyone had experience with such a configuration or does Hylafax even
> support multiple DID's?

Search the mailing list archive for DID, but in short, at the moment,
the only known way to do this is to use an ISDN modem on a BRI with
multiple DN's, enable dialed number reporting, and pick the number
called out of the commlog from your faxrcvd script.

ISTR someone's doing it with a ZyXEL; I conjectured it might also be
possible with a Courier I-modem.

I suspect that almost no one is installing *new* analog DID these days;
it's either DTMF over a T-1, or digital data over a PRI, which is the
recommended approach.  But none of those are supported by HylaFAX, no.

Any contributed code would, as always, be greatly appreciated.  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows