Re: [hylafax-users] Hyla Fax and T.37

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 10:42:21AM -0600, Lee Howard wrote:
> At 11:52 AM 5/31/01 +0200, David Klasinc wrote:
> >Banzai!
> >
> > ITU-T T.37 recommendations specify transfering of fax data via internet.
> I'd
> >like to know how close to this standard is HylaFax. I couldn't  find
> anything
> >about it in the documentation.
>
> Not close at all.  Feel like coding it?

<chuckle>

Actually, it's amusing that this should come up here today.
I've just gotten back from a clients, sitting in on a vendor visit
plugging the MuraTec/Intel fax to email box.  This close-to-$1000
wonder sits between your fax machine, phone line, and email server, and
has a built in directory of fax numbers.

You patch it between your fax machine, and it picks off the faxes to
numbers it knows about, and converts those into TIF-F attachments
to email destinations specified in the directory.  Faxes to other
destinations (ones not in the directory) are, presumably, extended
directly to the attached phone line.

It can also sit at the other end, picking up mail to a specific POPmail
box, and printing the attached faxes out on a connected fax machine.

All in all, it's a spiffy box... for other people.  :-)  We don't need
it.

But the thing which is *specifically* pertinent to this gent's message
is this: (showing my ignorance of the internals again) is there an
outbound equivalent script to faxrcvd, which sits between the scheduler
and faxsend?  That would be the place to grab outbound faxes by
destination and re-route them into email attachments, in a fashion
similar to (and probably, ultimately, compatibly with) this box they
showed us.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS/X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows