Re: [hylafax-users] Bad (null) user name.....

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 06:35:00PM +0200, v.demart@libero.it wrote:
> As an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER I've just installed hylafax 4.1b3 and while
> sending faxes as root is working correctly, when I try to send them as
> an ordinary user (belonging to the fax group) the situation is
> invariably as follows:

> #sendfax -f "Victor" -d 52411788 test
> request id is 3 (group id 3) for host localhost (1 file)
> #faxstat
> HylaFAX scheduler on Debian : Running
> Modem TTYS0 (39 8185.5241) : Sending job 3
> Bad (null) user name; your password file entry probably has bogus GECOS
> field information
>
> What does that diagnostic means?

The "GCOS" field is in your password file; it's usually your Real Name.
It's usually the fifth field in the file, on most Unices, and you
probably simply didn't put anything there when you created your regular
users.  Go into the password file, either with something linuxconf, or
something like vi, and add a real name in that fifth colon-separated
field.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS/X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows