[hylafax-users] Bad (null) user name.....

As an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER I've just installed hylafax 4.1b3 and while
sending faxes as root is working correctly, when I try to send them as
an ordinary user (belonging to the fax group) the situation is
invariably as follows:

#sendfax -f "Victor" -d 52411788 test
request id is 3 (group id 3) for host localhost (1 file)
#faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on Debian : Running
Modem TTYS0 (39 8185.5241) : Sending job 3
Bad (null) user name; your password file entry probably has bogus GECOS
field information

Needless to say the fax doesn't start at all!

What does that diagnostic means?
And, above all how can I fix it (in plain and straightforward words
please owing my poor knowledge of this program and Linux in general)?

Ciao
Victor