Re: [hylafax-users] Probs with LT Winmodem

At 06:21 PM 5/19/01 +1000, Michael Shalavin wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>I wonder if you might be able to assist. I have been contracted to install
>a Linux based fax server + Mac clients onto an existing network with Linux
>file (and comms) server. I chose Hylafax + MacFlex as the most appropriate
>solution.

Unles MacFlex now supports new protocol, I'd recommend against MacFlex in
lieu of a java app or SDFax... just my opinion.  SDFax has it's problems,
too, though.  If this is on an isolated network, then using the old
protocol won't be too bad.

>Last week when I was trying to get an older Dynalink ISA internal modem to
>work, I could get the client to fax out thru the Linux, and the Linux to
>receive faxes as well. Unfortunately, the internal modem on COM3 was
>conflicting with the external on COM 1 and I was not able to resolve this.
>As a result when COM1 worked COM3 wouldn't and vice versa. Any way this
>confirms that the client software is configured correctly and permissions
>etc are OK.

Traditionally "COM1" shares IRQ with "COM3".  Likewise "COM2" with "COM4".
faxgetty is device-intensive enough that you will not be able to run a
traditional modem on COM1 and COM3 simulaneously with it.  You'd have to
use (COM1 or COM3) and (COM2 or COM4) to accomplish a dual-modem system
with traditional devices.

PCI devices, such as 3Com's 3CP5610A and the LT Winmodem use PCI IRQs
rather than traditional serial IRQs, so to get more than two modems in a
system you'll need to use something like this or some type of multi-port
serial interface, ISDN, or something similar.

>Anyway, I was able to configure a Netcomm internal PCI Winmodem (with Linux
>drivers!) to work in minicom satisfactorily, and actually send a fax using
>sendfax (from the server). But, Macflex just refuses to talk to the
>daemon(s). It also answers the call when faxgetty is running.

I use an LT Winmodem quite successfully here on my development system, and
I've had no problems sending or receiving regardless of my client software.
 MacFlex should not care about the modems being used, as it doesn't
interact with them directly, I don't believe.