[hylafax-users] ANSWER: Can not lock modem device

The question has come up before regarding this, and now that I know what it
means, I thought that I'd speak up about it...

FaxGetty[1028]: ANSWER: Can not lock modem device

in your server logs is usually not an indication of any error at all.
Generally it appears just before sending a fax, and it means that faxgetty,
the daemon used to *answer* incoming calls, is no longer in a capable of
locking the modem because faxsend has locked the modem itself for use in
sending the fax.  You'll notice this sequence in your logs...

FaxGetty[981]: ANSWER: Can not lock modem device
FaxGetty[981]: STATE CHANGE: RUNNING -> LOCKWAIT
FaxSend[1053]: ... fax sending ...
FaxGetty[981]: STATE CHANGE: LOCKWAIT -> RUNNING

So, as has been said numerous times before (but perhaps with less
explanation), the message "ANSWER: Can not lock modem device" is perfectly
normal in most instances, and for those who know, it can actually be
informative.