Re: [hylafax-users] postscript woes on win2K

Join the "blessings of Win2K" club!

There are several things happening when using a print share to fax
documents using Win2K.

Install the correct printerdriver (I use the Apple 16/600) and set it to
maximize the PS compatibility. I've set the pictures to non-
compressed (if this is an actual problem?)..

Use a faxfilter to scan the printjob on the faxnumber:
Note that Word (another MS blessing) wants to position each
character on the page: there goes your Faxnumber trigger....
I've tackled this by first looking for the trigger (in my case "Faxno:")
and convert the document to ASCII when it fails.

snippet:

cat > ${Faxfile}

#strip the faxnumber from the PS file
FAXNUM="$(cat $Faxfile | awk ' { IGNORECASE=1 } /Faxno?:?[0-
9-]*/ \
          { gsub(/-/,""); \
            start=match($0,/: /); \
            start+=match(substr($0,start),/[0-9]/)-1; \
            end=match(substr($0,start),/[^0-9]/)-1; \
            printf("%s\n",substr($0,start,end)); \
          }' )"

if [ "$FAXNUM" = "" ] ; then
  # else convert it to ASCII and scan again
  FAXNUM="$(ps2ascii $Faxfile | awk ' { IGNORECASE=1 }
/Faxno?:?[0-9-]*/ \
          { gsub(/-/,""); \
            start=match($0,/: /); \
            start+=match(substr($0,start),/[0-9]/)-1; \
            end=match(substr($0,start),/[^0-9]/)-1; \
            printf("%s\n",substr($0,start,end)); \
          }' )"
fi

This should get you up and running.
There is only 1 problem left to tackle:
All printjobs are divided in 2 separate jobs, the first is the PS
header? Which is separated from the main document.
This results in an error from the faxfilter script, but at the same
time your document is faxed correctly.
I hope anyone has any hints on this one?

Good luck!
Johann