Re: [hylafax-users] large number of fax destinations

I had a slightly different problem...Sending upwards of 50 files to the same
destination.  I modified sendfax to accept a file specified on the command
line as the source of the file names to send. (sort of a fax queue file)
I specified all of the other parameters on the command line itself.

I suspect a similar technique could be used to specify a command line option
to look into a file for the "destination" parameter(s). Look at sendfax.c++
function "addDestination" which is called when the -d switch is parsed.

At 12:34 PM 4/10/01 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 11:45:06AM -0400, Russell P. Sutherland wrote:
> > I have read that it is preferrable to use multiple
> > numbers/destinations on the sendfax command line. E.g.
> >
> >       sendfax -n -d 4164441111 -d 9053331111 -d 416222111 ./faxfile.ps
> >
> > rather than three separate commands:
> >
> >       sendfax -n -d 4164441111 ./faxfile.ps
> >       sendfax -n -d 9053331111 ./faxfile.ps
> >       sendfax -n -d 41622l1111 ./faxfile.ps
> >
> > How many -d numbers can/should one place on the commandline?
>
>There's a limit to how many characters a shell command line can have,
>compiled into your bash.
>
>People have posited adding a new option switch to pull destination
>numbers out of a specified file, allowing the bypass of this problem,
>but apparently the limit's high enough that no one's actually needed to
>*do* it.  Just remember to put the -d's *last*.
>
>Cheers,
>-- jra
>--
>Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra@baylink.com
>Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink
>The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
>Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 804 5015

Jeff Herring  /  jeffh@sldsi.com
Seacoast Laboratory Data Systems, Inc.
Voice:  603 431 4114  x14