Re: [hylafax-users] Occasional Total and complete failure

At 04:22 AM 4/8/01 -0700, Paul A. Franz, P.E. wrote:
>At 10:13 AM 4/7/2001Lee Howard sez:
>>At 01:17 AM 4/7/01 -0700, Paul A. Franz, P.E. wrote:

>This particular one failed with TypRate 9600 and TypData 1-D MR but the
>normal failure that follows the Phase B/C training failure is 2400 2-D MMR.
>
>What is 1-D MR and what is 2-D MMR?

I'm not an expert on this, but 1-D and 2-D are the encoding types used
during the fax communication.  If HylaFAX knows that the remote is capable
of accepting 2-D MMR, then it will attempt that, otherwise it defaults to
1-D.  You can force the encoding type in your config file or in your
destcontrols file.

For the most part, faxes should occur at 14400 or 9600 baud.  If it's
slower that that, there's probably a communication problem of sorts.  2400
baud communication is indicative of an extreme problem, and honestly I'd
say that it would be a good idea to set HylaFAX up to terminate faxes that
go so slow if they're common at all.

>No apparent settings for those last two (Class2HFLOCmd, and Class2SFLOCmd).
>Do I need them?

I don't know.  You need them if you need them, and you don't if you don't.
It depends on your modem and what the default settings are.  Since you're
working from a faxaddmodem-made-from-prototype file, I'm assuming that the
creator believed that the default settings for the modem were sufficient,
and that Class2HFLOCmd and Class2SFLOCmd were not necessary.  There are no
HylaFAX defaults for these commands.

You'll need to review your manual if you want to provide them, since they
can vary from modem to modem.  And many modems do not have values for these
settings.

>Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Try Class 1 rather than Class 2, or try xonxoff rather than rtscts.

If you find that certain remote machines prefer one arrangement while
others prefer another, then you may need to see what you can do about it
via destcontrols, and if that's no good, then you need to look into another
modem, perhaps in addition to the current one.