Re: [hylafax-users] images are not faxed

At 09:49 AM 4/4/01 +0530, Prasanna wrote:
>hi,
> how i will fax a inage file like(.gif, .jpg, .jpeg etc files)?
>
>when i was trying to send the image file it gives the following error.
>
>$ sendfax -n -d 0116867681 /web/dssfinal/m5.gif
>/web/dssfinal/m5.gif: GIF (version 89a)
>
>what is this?

I don't think that this qualifies as an "error" on the part of HylaFAX.
It's telling you that /web/dssfinal/m5.gif is a GIF (version 89a).  HylaFAX
doesn't natively fax GIF 89a images... or JPEG images for that matter.
HylaFAX 4.1beta2 natively faxes most TIFF, Postscript, ASCII, and GIF 87a
files.  HylaFAX 4.1beta3 also will send PDF files via sendfax, and CVS
HylaFAX will send PDF files with all other clients.

Truth be said, faxsend only accepts TIFF G3 or Postscript input, and any
faxed file is then converted into a TIFF F file by faxsend at the time of
faxing.  However, HylaFAX provides a conversion facility called 'typerules'
which describes the conversion for other file types which client software
(i.e. sendfax) can utilize to know how to convert submitted documents
(ideally to Postscript).  You've got to provide this information to
typerules in order to fax foreign documents such as MS Word documents, GIF,
or JPEG image files.

See 'man typerules' and 'man gif2tiff'.

You'll notice this in the default typerules:

0       short           0x5343          ps      showcase -p -f %i
0       short           0xf702          ps      dvips -q -o %o %i
0       string          GIF             tiff
>3      string          87a             tiff    gif2tiff -%f -v %V %i %o
>3      string          89a             error   GIF (version 89a)
0       long            0x59a66a95      tiff    ras2tiff -%f -v %V %i %o
0       string          %PDF            ps      pdf2ps %i %o

This is where you're getting your "error" from.  The "error" being that
gif2tiff only supports conversion of GIF 87a files and not 89a.