From: Matt Hocker [mailto:hocker@fibresphere.com]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 6:02 PM
To: hylafax-users@hylafax.org
Cc: matt_hocker@yahoo.com
Subject: [hylafax-users] hylafax+mgetty+ppp 2.3 connection problems

I'm running Red Hat 7.0 with the latest production HylaFAX, pppd, and
mgetty. Previously, I had been using mgetty to answer the phone directly,
but decided that I needed the additional functionality of HylaFAX.

After getting through the Adaptive Answering dilemma that I was having
(don't forget the COLONS...!) and the "handoff" carrier drop between
hylafax and mgetty, I have now come to the point where mgetty will pick up
a data call, allow a log-in to pppd then look like everything is ready to
go.

Unfortunately, what happens is that no packets actually get through.
Remember: this was working fine with just mgetty.

Here is my mgetty.config:
port ttyS1
  direct y
  toggle-dtr n

and my ppp options file:
auth -chap +pap login modem crtscts debug proxyarp lock
ms-dns 158.152.1.43
ms-dns 158.152.1.58
ms-wins 62.49.242.83

and finally my ppp options.ttyS1 file:
62.49.242.84:62.49.242.92

As you can see, I have a linux box with 62.49.242.84 as its IP, I assign
one IP (62.49.242.92) to the one dial-in machine, and I assign some DNS
entries. I have ip_forward enabled on my linux box, via inittab.

So, the question then becomes - why can I not ping even 62.49.242.84? Even
if ip_forward was broken, I should be able to do that at least!
Furthermore, I get a lot of "junk" (which I don't know where to look for,
log-wise) sent initially from my Windows 2000 box (about 90 "bad" packets)
so I suspect something is not being received correctly.

My feeling is that the handoff between mgetty and hylafax wasn't clean in
some way.

Any thoughts? I've spent a whole lot of hours on this now... all to get rid
of a Windows 2000 server. I'd hate to go back, but I'm getting frustrated
with this!

Many thanks,

Matt