[hylafax-users] Not especially great quality of received faxes

Hello,

  I'm using Hylafax almost two years (it's Hylafax 4.0 on SuSE-Linux v6.3
with USR Courier V.everything), it's doing it's job fine, with one
exception: received faxes aren't of good quality. It's not "bad
lines"-related problem, because logs in most situations are telling "0%
bad lines".

  Even, when the sender sets hits fax to "fine resolution", received faxes
(as TIFF images) have resolution of 595x842 pixels. AFAIK resolution of
normal faxes is 98 dpi, so for A4 page (dimensions 210x297 mm = 8.4x11.9
inch) it makes image, which should have resolution 823x1166 pixels! "Fine
resolution" (196 dpi) should give me TIFF of doubled resolution
(1646x2332 pixels).

  So, for today all the faxes I'm receiving had the quality worse than
"normal" setting could theoretically give, which makes many of them almost
unreadable. Earlier, when I was using several Windows programs with
various modems (much cheaper than Courier), I had never similar problems
with the quality. I think, that some setting (?) is incorrect - but which
one could be?

				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski