Re: [hylafax-users] Newbie question

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:12:08PM -0500, Jeff Herring wrote:
> This question appears to be asked but never answered in the archives.

Yep.

> We have requirements to pass HP PCL files from a LAB system to HylaFax.
> I have tried various incarnations of hp2pbm, lj2pbm, etc...With no luck.

Damn.  I've had those sitting around to try, but hadn't gotten to it.
What level of PCL is your system generating?

> Does anyone know of a solution for converting from PCL to PS or TIFF?

Yeah, there's a commercial package that's over a grand.  :-{

> Flame on if this is an inappropriate question...

Not at all.  Can your system generate anything else?

> Cancer causing asbestos underwear has been applied!

Switch to Nomex.

> BTW I have implemented the following with minimal problems:
> RH7 iso image from linuxiso.org
>   hylafax-4.1beta2-2rh7
>   ghostscript-5.50-7
>   ghostscript-fonts-5.50-3
>   libtiff-devel-3.5.5-7
>   netpbm-9.5-5
>   netpbm-progs-9.5-5
>   modified (for RH7) SST driver RPM provided by Equinox Tech Support
>
> on a P3-933 with 384Meg and Equinox 64-port SST adapter connected to
> 16 Multi-Tech MT2834BR Rack MODEMs.

Youch.  Any interesting datapoints on the implementation to add to the
howto?

> Sending plain text and PS files works fine.

You'll have noted the recent PDF support patches..

> And it only took me about 20 hours to get it working(!) which
> included the requisite 3 re-installs of RH7.

<chuckle>

Indeed, if you can find time to write up a page or two on where the
pinch spots were, I'm sure Lee would be happy to add it to his
excellent howto...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink