Re: [hylafax-users] Fax server performance

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 11:54:32AM +0800, Leung Kam Fai wrote:
> I have just installed the WHFC on a Win98 client.  When I try to send out a
> fax using WHFC, I have to wait for a long time to get
> the response from HylaFAX server.
>
> I can ping the HylaFAX server and the response time is good.
>
> How to improve the performance for the fax server?

Two words: reverse DNS.

Or at least, make sure that all client workstation IP adresses are in
the hosts file on the fax server.  I'm pretty sure that the problem is
that HF is trying to log the incoming connections in the syslog, it's
trying to do a reverse lookup for your private network, and it's timing
out.

*Any* time you have a 60 second or so setup delay on connections which
then work perfectly, this is the first place to go.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink