Re: [hylafax-users] contradictory installation info on hylafax.org

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 06:57:27AM -0800, Wilmes, Rusty wrote:
> I'm a new Hylafax user attempting to implement Hylafax into our NT
> domain and also as a server to our VMS host system.  If all goes
> well it will save us about 20 grand, but I need to get it right the
> first time for the idea to fly with the execs.  This is the first
> time I've posted here but certainly wont be the last!

We'll certainly do or best to help you out.  Do we get a commission?
:-)

> My first quandry is this...
>
> The docs on hylafax.org seem to contradict themselves r.e. the version
> of libtiff that's required.
>
> http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.php is the page I'm referring to.
>
> First it says at the top of section 2 that...
> "Be aware that if you intend to install and run without patching
> HylaFAX 4.1beta2 or any earlier version it is imperitive that you use
> libtiff 3.4."
>
> Then in section 2.2.2 it says that for the same Hylafax package libtiff must
> be "3.5.5 or better"
>
> Which of these is correct?

I'm *pretty* sure that versions *prior* to beta2 require the old one
and b2 and later require the new one, but I'm sure Lee Howard (who
wrote that) will chime in with the exact answer; I'm amazed no one's
noticed it before now.

If you *aren't* running the CVS, by the way, you really ought to;
there are quite a number a fixes to old problems, even viz 4.1b2, and
it's sufficiently stable that I'm running it on a couple of
production machines even as we speak.

And it does require 3.5.5.  :-)

The compile went just fine for me on RedHat 6.2.

> Thanks in advance!

No problems.  Keep up apprised.  And if, once you have it working
(optimism is a great thing, no? :-), you want to write up for us just
how easy and great it was, we can probably get that posted on the
website.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink