Re: [hylafax-users] howto: faxrm, howto: automate faxrm to do it by script

At 11:40 13.01.2001 -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
>At 04:58 PM 1/13/01 +0100, Richard Lippmann wrote:
>>First: shame on the programmers who are not willing to provide a simple
>interface to administrate faxjobs for _all_ users by submitting a password
>like this:
>>
>>whoever$ faxrm --masterpass=gogogo --jobid=137
>
>Not trying to say that this is a bad idea, but how is this any easier than:
>$ su -c "faxrm 137" faxinguser

Sorry, Lee. I read this in the mailinglist but this does not work on my system. I don't know why but it simply does not work. One thing works: su to the user who sends the fax and then remove the faxjob.

>[...]
>But as for knocking the dedicated and loyal HylaFAX programmers - who, mind
>you, work paying jobs for a living - remember that this is open-source.
>Feel free to change the code if you don't like it - if you can't code, then
>pay someone to do it for you.

As I said I cannot program in C, but I am able to program in Perl. I found a good way to solve the problem, I told the one about that way. Does free software mean not to tell when something is unfriendly? I was reading a large part of the mailing-list archive for HylaFAX yesterday and found that I am not the only one having problems with killing faxjobs of other people _and_ how to set up a password for that. It seems that the people think they have to submit the root-password at "faxrm -a jobid".

>>Such a lot of people are not able to automate this because of this
>password asking after >submitting a faxrm -a 137
>
>And, as it appears that you do, if you'd like to avoid the "Password:"
>prompt, then the idea is to simply log-in as the uid as the person whose
>fax you want to remove.  An administrative user, say root, should easily be
>able to learn the user's fax password.  Creative implementations of
>etc/hosts.hfaxd will make this easier, too.  Again, this is not to say that
>--masterpass is a bad idea... maybe just unnecessary.
>[...]
>My only question here would be why is telnet so hard to do?  Or rather, how
>is a web-interface any easier than telnet?

It's not the way that I only want to bash on the programmers for that "faxrm -a" but I had to deal with automating that for some hard hours. I had to automate fax-removing because nobody (except me) in my company is able to deal with Linux and there are some of my users who send faxes to old people going to phones several times and I hear them cursing in the modem because the modem is near my place in the office.

The idea of the mail was to tell other people 1. how to configure the admin-password and 2. to show other people a way of the problem how to remove a fax-job automatically because: I did not find a good one.

I didn't want to curse on someone because of that: "Expelliarus" (Harry Potter) and your keyboard (that means your weapon) is gone? No, I only wanted to tell people a good way to solve that common problem and maybe a demand for a feature.

Greetings
Horshack

--
48,6 % of the population has no idea of percentage calculation
that's more than two thirds!