Re: [hylafax-users] howto: faxrm, howto: automate faxrm to do it by script

At 04:58 PM 1/13/01 +0100, Richard Lippmann wrote:
>First: shame on the programmers who are not willing to provide a simple
interface to administrate faxjobs for _all_ users by submitting a password
like this:

>whoever$ faxrm --masterpass=gogogo --jobid=137

Not trying to say that this is a bad idea, but how is this any easier than:
$ su -c "faxrm 137" faxinguser

Also, you can create an administrator account which has these permissions
without using something like --masterpass.  See 'man hosts.hfaxd'.  (But, I
think you knew that.)

But as for knocking the dedicated and loyal HylaFAX programmers - who, mind
you, work paying jobs for a living - remember that this is open-source.
Feel free to change the code if you don't like it - if you can't code, then
pay someone to do it for you.

>Such a lot of people are not able to automate this because of this
password asking after >submitting a faxrm -a 137

And, as it appears that you do, if you'd like to avoid the "Password:"
prompt, then the idea is to simply log-in as the uid as the person whose
fax you want to remove.  An administrative user, say root, should easily be
able to learn the user's fax password.  Creative implementations of
etc/hosts.hfaxd will make this easier, too.  Again, this is not to say that
--masterpass is a bad idea... maybe just unnecessary.

>I am sorry, I am not able to program in C so it's not possible to path the
problem.

>Second: you CAN automate it with an ftp-like approach I tell you now.

My only question here would be why is telnet so hard to do?  Or rather, how
is a web-interface any easier than telnet?