[hylafax-users] waiting for modem to come ready

I have just spent an inordinate amount of time tracing what I thought
was a horrible problem to a misconfigured modem init file.  I am running
HylaFAX 4.0pl2-7i from an RPM in RedHat 6 along with LibTiff 3.4-7.  I
tried setting up the program in send-only mode (without faxgetty).  I
got errors to the effect of "waiting for modem to come ready" and my log
files showed that modem init had failed.  Then I switched versions,
thinking an older, more stable version might help (I was originally
running the current beta version of HylaFAX).  After seeing many
messages on the HylaFAX site urging to run faxgetty (even in a send-only
environment?), I added it to my inittab.  Log files then started showing
that faxgetty could not initialize the modem.  Sent faxes would be
perennially stuck in the send queue.  After trying everything else, I
referenced a copy of the AT command set and discovered that the
following default modem init strings in the class1 config file aren't
even right!

ModemNoFlowCmd:  AT&K  # disable flow control cmd
ModemHardFlowCmd: AT&K3  # hardware flow control cmd
ModemSoftFlowCmd: AT&K4  # software flow control cmd

These lines should be referencing the AT&I command, not &K (this
controls compression, not flow control).  I don't know if these errors
are included in the .tar distribution or are simply a product of a
rogue, misconfigured RPM, but such a simple mistake can be very hard to
find for a novice like me...

-Ben Smith
benjamin-smith@utulsa.edu