[hylafax-users] Could not reopen converted document to verify format

I recently upgraded gs and several libraries on an i686-linux-gnu box
and managed to break hylafax.  I get the message in the subject line
when I submit a postscript document to be faxed (I use tkhylafax as an
interface).  Grepping the source code shows that this is caused by a
failure in TIFFopen.

I'd posted this before as a bug report and someone replied suggesting
that the problem was with me not using the most recent version of
libtiff; however, after upgrading to 3.5.5, making sure that all old
versions of the library and include files were deleted, and rebuilding
and installing hylafax from scratch using the CVS sources, the problem
didn't go away.  At least, it didn't while I was testing as a regular
user.  When I tried the test as root, things worked; clearly there is
a file/directory permission issue here (although, hfaxd is 4755).
Here's how the spool/fax directory is set up.

bash-2.04# ls -l /var/spool/fax
total 68
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         5426 Nov 23 11:37 COPYRIGHT
prw-------   1 uucp     uucp            0 Nov 23 12:26 FIFO
prw-------   1 uucp     wheel           0 Nov 23 12:07 FIFO.modem
drwx------   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:27 archive
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:40 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 12:26 client
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:38 config
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:47 dev
drwx------   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 12:25 docq
drwx------   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 12:25 doneq
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:58 etc
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 12:10 info
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 12:25 log
drwx------   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:27 pollq
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:27 recvq
drwx------   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 12:25 sendq
drwxr-xr-x   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 11:50 status
drwx------   2 uucp     uucp         4096 Nov 23 12:25 tmp

Thanks in advance

David