Re: [hylafax-users] non US-ASCII characters with faxmail

jehan.procaccia@int-evry.Fr wrote:

> In a prevoius posting I asked:
> > I am using netscape to send mail to the faxmail gateway.
> > As a french user I use accents ( é è à ù ....) in my mails (fax mails) .
> > unfortunatly they are not translated as is.
>
> But didn't get any answer !, maybe I should give more precision.
> Actually accents are transmitted all right as long as the body of the
> mail is the only message faxed, as soon as I attache a file
> (postript/text) behind all non US-ASCII character in the body of the
> mail are changed to strange looking ones.
>
> There seems to be a problem with multipart mime messages format .
> Any help would be very kind, even if its only a precision on where to
> look for solving the problem (netscape, faxmail , textfmt, MTA ...?)
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> --
> Jehan Procaccia
> Institut National des Telecommunications| Email :
> Jehan.Procaccia@int-evry.fr
> 9 rue Charles Fourier                   | Tel   : +33 (0) 160764436
> 91011 Evry   France                     | Fax   : +33 (0) 160764321

I think I localized the problem , Here's what I noticed:

I tested faxmail by hand with both cases (just body en body + ps file
attached) here what the -v returns:

just a body test with accents:

$cat /tmp/jehan.mail.text-only | faxmail -v >
/tmp/jehan.mail-text-only.faxmail
HEADER Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
HEADER Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
MIME part (line 25): text/plain charset=iso-8859-1 encoding=8bit

a body with accents + ps attached file

$cat /tmp/jehan.mail | faxmail -v > /tmp/jehan.mail.faxmail
HEADER Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
+HEADER Content-Type:  boundary="------------8083CCEB0962714862150482"
MIME part (line 25): multipart/mixed charset=us-ascii encoding=7bit
HEADER Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
HEADER Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
MIME part (line 30): text/plain charset=iso-8859-1 encoding=8bit
HEADER Content-Type: application/postscript;
+HEADER Content-Type:  name="logo.ps"
HEADER Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
HEADER Content-Disposition: inline;
+HEADER Content-Disposition:  filename="logo.ps"
MIME part (line 46): application/postscript charset=us-ascii
encoding=7bit

in the first case everything's all right , in the second the body part
of the message has lost its accents (replaced by white spaces or strange
characters )

I noticed a major difference in the poscript file generated  by my two
faxmail test above.

first one contains a section starting with :

/ISOLatin1Encoding where{pop save true}{false}ifelse
/ISOLatin1Encoding[
 /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef

the second one doesn't have this section !.

I guess that the problem lies around here, how should I force the use of
that "/ISOLatin1Encoding..." ps section in my fax ?, or how to fix or
configure faxmail to generate appropriate outputs even in
multipart/mixed cases ?

Thanks a lot