[hylafax-users] Re: suggestions for good modem to world with hylafax

jim neff <jneff@ABICORUSA.com> writes:

> Avoid USR like the plague!  If you search for USR in the mailing list
> archives you will find pages and pages of USR related problems.  Most
> problems that I have heard of are because USR/3Comm MODEMs do not stick to
> the standards (class 1/2/2.0) as well as other MODEM manufacturers do.

USR's firmware implementation of Class 1 contains no know bugs; only Class
2.0 is broken. So if you have any difficulties while working in Class1 mode
(no matter what modem are you using), blame Hylafax itself :-)

> Although I got my 56K USR Fax/MODEM to work; but only after hours of agony
> and pain.  And in Class 1.0 mode only.

What problems have you faced? Can you show detailed logs? (with appropriate
tracing level) It's interesting for me as I am trying to find and fix
numerious bugs in Class1 (Class 2/2.0 too) protocol implementation.

> Off of Hylafax's home page you should find a nice listing of modems that
> have been tested and known to work with Hylafax.

Nothing but a hoax :-) Some months ago I was selecting a modem to use with
Hylafax. I picked up Zyxel 1496 (marked as "recommended"), browsed Hylafax
mailing list archives (somebody talked where about necessary firmware
revision), burned the latest revision 6.21, and almost immediately faced
"endless RTN" problem :-) Since then I have become familiar with Hylafax
sources, T.4, T.30, Class 1, Class 2/2.0 specs, and I must say that there
are no broken modems (almost no :-)), but there is the broken Hylafax
software :-)

> My 2 cents.
> Jim Neff

Hope to hear from you soon,