Re: RedHat 6.1 and Hylafax Woes

Hello Mark,
in <20000111211003.0B0D61FC5@raider.jobsoft.com> you wrote

>I have seen a lot of talk about recent troubles with Hylafax and
>RedHat.  Well, we have begun having a lot of the same problems BUT
>ONLY after applying the RedHat 6.1 *updates* (which included a new
>glib (not glibc) and a new libtiff (version 3.5.4))!!  I was running
>Hylafax 4.0PL2 on Redhat 5.2 without any hitches.  Upgraded that box
>to Redhat 6.1, applied all patches, troubles began.  Tried upgrading
>to Hylafax 4.1beta1 compiled with libtiff 3.4 - no dice. Tried
>rebuilding that SRPM against the redhat 6.1 and libtiff 3.5.4 - no
>dice. Added the 'PageChop: none' and faxq quit hanging.  But incoming
>faxes - no dice.  I have two other redhat 6.1 boxes without ANY redhat
>6.1 upgrades and Hylafax works just fine!!  I then tried building a
>4.1Beta2 on the box with problems and no dice there either.  SOMETHING
>in the redhat 6.1 updates screws up something that triggers these
>Hylafax issues!  I have been pulling my hair out and and about to
>sacrifice one of my other working boxes by adding the redhat updates
>one at a time (starting with the "obvious" one) until it breaks so I
>can be more specific.  Unfortunately, this was not the week to have to
>deal with this but I am now forced to.

I got similar results:

HylaFAX 4.0pl2 on RedHat 5.2 is running fine since more than one year.
On another box running (RedHat 6.1de without any updates) I installed
HylaFax 4.1beta2 (build from source). No problems.

Then I upgraded from libtiff-3.4-6 to libtiff-3.5.4-1 (rpm from RedHat's
site), and the trouble began. Starting HylaFAX I got this:

----- start >>>>> cut here -------------------------------
Jan 19 01:09:25 zuse hylafax: /usr/sbin/faxq
Jan 19 01:09:25 zuse hylafax: : Symbol `TIFFFaxBlackTable' has different
size in shared object, consider re-linking
Jan 19 01:09:25 zuse hylafax: /usr/sbin/faxq
Jan 19 01:09:25 zuse hylafax: : Symbol `TIFFFaxMainTable' has different
size in shared object, consider re-linking
Jan 19 01:09:25 zuse hylafax: /usr/sbin/faxq: Symbol `TIFFFaxWhiteTable'
has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
----- stop <<<<<< cut here -------------------------------

Trying to send faxq was hanging.

Then I made a some experiments:
I rebuild HylaFAX with 3.5.4 installed: doesn't work (see above)
I downgraded to libtiff 3.4: no problems
I rebuild HylaFAX with libtiff 3.4 installed: no problems
I upgraded to libtiff 3.5.4 again: doesn't work (see above)
I rebuild HylaFAX with 3.5.4 installed: doesn't work (see above)
I downgraded to libtiff 3.4 again: no problems
I rebuild HylaFAX with libtiff 3.4 installed: no problems

I'm quite sure: there is something wrong with libtiff-3.5.4-1

>Just a heads up!
>
>Mark

And now... ?-|

hjb :-?