Modem problems

Here is what I have found out so far. I have a Hewlett Pakard runing Windows
98. It wont take the original modem. It shows amodem is detected in some
places but not in others. New modem found but other places, no modem
detected. When it does find it I tried to let windows find the modem driver.
Its said It couldnt find a driver because I havent registerd windows. I cant
register Windows till I get a working modem. So I go buy a new U.S. Robotics
modem and it still finds it but wont install the driver. I put in the CD and
the 3 1/2 floppy. When it asked where to get a driver, I choose the floppy.
it starts to run setup and it says I need Windows NT 4.0 or higher. I try to
run the CD and it doesn't find the driver.
I undinstall the modem and the yellow dot with the black quotation mark goes
away. I am showing something on com 1 AND the printer port which shows
something about windows something  and is set at 9600 baud and some other
stuff. There is NO printer connected to the system. It was at one time but I
do not know anything about that printer. I do not have that printer. I
deleted the printer program from the printer folder in C drive. It is still
showing something (as shown above) in the printer port.
So my points are this.
I have windows 98... the floppy says I need Window NT 4.0 or higher. The box
the modem came in and other paper work says it works with windows 95, 98 & NT
4.0..... ??????
I have the original modem that it wont install and I have a new modem with CD
and floppy and it wont take it.
I have no conflict (yellow dot with black & esclamation mark) in the device
manager IF its NOT in the computer..... I have a conflict IF it IS installed
in the computer.
I am showing something in the printer port AND the Com port 1 which gives the
same information. No matter if there is a modem installed in the computer or
not, and I do not have a printer installed...
Let me know and I will try to give oyu the information you need. But you have
to give me instructions as if i were 80 years old.
Thanx a million  :-)
TC

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions