Re: hylafax&suse 6.3

Hello Frank,

	I use SuSE 6.2 :)

First.......
	In YAST, did you install the following files?

For HylaFax to work:
hylafax
tiff
shlibs
uucp
libjpeg
gs_lib
libtiff
bash
libz
and one of these three (sendmail, smail, or postfix)
I use sendmail
(Note:  Do not install mgetty or sendfax if you plan to use HylaFax!  If you
did install mgetty, from Nico's advice, uninstall it, uninstall HylaFax.
Then reinstall HylaFax.  Hope I got that right.)

	If you plan to use SuSEFax, then:
susefax
java
bash

Want to view your faxes:
gsview
xshared
gs_x11
gv
xaw3d
	I'm sure had selected all those files, but doesn't hurt to
check.

Second .......
Then you ran faxsetup and faxaddmodem as instructed in the manual?
(Note:  If you use /dev/modem , wouldn't be a bad idea to input /dev/ttyS1 or
ttyS2 or whatever to avoid lock problems.  You will have to change /dev/modem
to /dev/ttyS1 or whatever in you ppp setup too after doing this.   No big
deal.)

Third............
 	You went into YAST->"System administration"->"change configuration file"
and set Start_HylaFax to "yes" **Important: Only do this after already having
run faxsetup and faxaddmodem***

Fourth ..........
Reboot

Fifth ...............
	Now this is what I had to do, which hopefully SuSE 6.3 has fixed.  But
who knows.
1)            Change
ModemClass:        "any"
ModemClass:        "any:.*"
 in the file /var/spool/fax/etc/config
 The SuSE manual for SuSE 6.2 incorrectly told me to input "any"
2)            In etc/inittab I had to add the line:
fx:2345:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty /dev/ttyS1
	This gets faxgetty kicking.
	My modem operates off of ttyS1 .   Yours may be different.  I quit
using /dev/modem to avoid unknown hassles.  After doing this, could not connect
to internet.  Simply had to change /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS1 in kppp.  No
problem.

	After changing the inittab, it was necessary to get Linux to see the
change.  Went to my root directory with the command cd / then typed
telinit q
to get Linus to reread the /etc/inittab file
 Rebooting will work too.

3)  Uncomment the
ModemDialCmd line in my /var/spool/fax/etc/config.ttyS1 file
 ModemDialCmd:                                      ATDT%s@            # T for tone dialing, @ for silence
	Note:  I live in Moscow, Russia where they use rotary.  I, thus, had to
change ATDT%s@ to ATDP%s@

	I think if you do all this, you will not be very far off from success.
Hopefully.

Good luck
George
--